Making a Jarrah Breadboard

Earlier in the year I had the chance to use a powered jointer at the local woodwork club so I cut up a bunch of hardwood stock I had sitting around into breadboard sized lengths and used the machine to get the edges ready. The one shown in this post is Jarrah and was originally a decking board.

I used biscuits to join them, and this is where I have photos from. In the first image the board has been glued up but not sanded and is very rough. You can also see the glue spillout in the joints.

 

20140421_155719

I cleaned up the joints with a card scraper, then I used a combination of my scrub plane, jointer plane and a belt sander to make sure everything was nice and flat. I then sanded it to 1200 grit manually. I also rounded the edges with a block plane at this point.

20140421_170404

I gave it three coats of canola oil, which is food safe since it’s a cooking oil, buffing each coat in with a cloth.

20140817_091512

Finally, here it is with the first loaf of bread on it ready to be cut. It’s been in use nearly 6 months now and is holding up really well. Jarrah is a tough wood so barely scratches when the knife touches it, and it’s held up nice and flat even without breadboard ends being used.

20140427_080417

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s