No, not Frankensteins monster, my mitre saw. It was jamming halfway through cuts and I’d had a quick look and not been able to find a cause, but I found the manual online and took it to pieces this afternoon.
I’m not overly familiar with pulling power tools apart, but I’ve spent more years than I like to admit pulling computers and electronics to bits and figured it wouldn’t be much different. It wasn’t.
It turned out that while I thought the blade was tight, it was just loose enough to lose connection to the motor shaft under load.
I tightened it up, put the guards back on and did some tests, and it appears ok for now. I’m pleased, it saved me having to decide if it should be replaced.