Well I’ve just finished testing out the new scraper shave I made. I think it turned out well enough, there’s a few places I could improve but it works as it should so that’s a good thing!
I got to use a lot of interesting tools on this one – rasps, scrapers, and to finish a lot of wax and a buffing wheel in the drill.
I’m going to make another at some point, this time with a Jarra body instead of the maple, and possible a brass mouth. It will also have through bolts with wingnuts instead of screws, as they will last longer. The next one will have a V cutout so I can use it to shape chamfers.
Total build time was about 3 hours including finishing.
– 2 bits of maple (one for body, one for mouth)
– two small brass screws
– a piece of a 99c mitra saw blade
– Boiled linseed oil
Tools used were
– Jigsaw with a crosscut blade
– Curved rasp
– Cabinet scraper
– 320 grit sandpaper
– buffing wheel in the drill to polish the wax